Saturday, September 6, 2008

Texas Aggies hold on to beat the Lobos 28-22

My thoughts on this game: From the Aggie perspective, of course.

Both teams made a hell of a lot of mistakes. 4 fumbles for A&M, 4 fumbles for NM. The difference is that A&M lost one, a muffed punt that lead to a field goal, and NM lost 3. The 2 int's lead to 2 scores as well. Roughing the passer: It appears as if A&M's fortunes are turning in this regard. 2 games were lost last season with crucial roughing the passer calls. This season, it turns into a TD for A&M.

A&M's offense: Boring. Little imagination. West Coast Offense dumbed down. It's a very straightforward offense that can be effective if executed properly. Can college kids learn to execute it? Previous NFL coaches, even the one of the greatest ever failed to implement it effectively in college. Walsh.

You'd think A&M would've done better against the offense that NM was running. Wasn't it almost exactly what A&M was running the last 3 years? Option, zone read, etc. I guess they tried to block out everything Fran taught them.

Special Teams: What was that? 2 delay of game penalties and punting line drives? It lead to great field position.

Goodson: I wonder if he read all his clippings and rantings about his talent from Sherman. It's almost as if he's running around like he did his freshman year and not protecting the ball. He seems to run out of control, and he still has yet to convince me he can run between the tackles. I hope he proves me wrong. Of course, that picture is from last year, so apparently he wasn't protecting the ball last year either.


Jerrod Johnson: I like this kid. I really do. He can make plays and tries to make things happen. If only he had more accuracy. Hopefully he can improve upon this. I'd like to see how well the team does. I love McGee too, and if this team progresses, the best QB should play. If it's him, great. However, if the Big 12 is out of reach, Johnson needs to be playing every down. He just needs to be more accurate. His second TD pass was a crappy pass. It should've been an interception. Which brings me to Fuller.

He's the best true freshman WR I've seen in my years watching A&M football. Hopefully he'll progress throughout the season and throughout his career. That 2nd TD was one of the most amazing plays I have seen by an A&M WR in a long long time.

Injuries: McGee, Goodson, Tannehill, and a few others...If our starting QB, our 3rd string QB and starting WR, and starting tailback are hurt, we're in trouble. If our first string slot receiver is playing QB...that's bad news.

Defense: Did I hear correct? Was that really the first pick six since 2002? Was there really not a pick 6 in the history of Fran?? A&M missed so many tackles it was ridiculous. I don't remember a linebacker being called by name on a tackle all game. It seems like there were not huge missed assignments, unlike last week. Of course, there

Overall: It's a W. And that, in the end, is all that matters. I truly believe that this staff, and this team will get better week to week. Most of the mistakes can be corrected, and I feel good about the program? Why? Because it's more fun to be positive than negative.

No comments: